Vintage 1929 edition of Really So Stories by Elizabeth Gordon and Jane Priest for The Golden Hour Rainbow Edition children's book series.
Written by Elizabeth Gordon and Jane Priest. Illustrated by John Rae. 1929 edition, The Golden Hour Rainbow Edition. The Wise-Parslow Company, New York.
The Boy Named Billy
"There was once a boy named Billy, who spent a summer in the woods with Somebody.
"Somebody had expected to have a wonderful time telling him stories; but it turned out that the boy named Billy did not care for made up stories. He would listen, if they were sufficiently exciting, but even stories of wolves and bears and tigers were not very much worth while unless they were really so.
"He wanted to know about the beginning of things, and what certain days meant, and who started customs, and ever and ever so many things that you'd never suppose a small boy would be interested in.
" So, I've been wondering if there are not many boys like Billy who, also, like to know about things that are really so.
And so, I've written down a good many of the things Somebody and the boy named Billy talked about after the lights were out the fireflies came, during that wonderful summer in the north woods."
Your very own,
Really So Stories includes more than fifty stories about holidays and all kinds of interesting things. About the Telegraph, Palm Sunday, About Hats, About Linen, St. Patrick's Day, George Washington's Birthday, Mr. Irish Potato, About Maple Sugar, About Umbrellas, and more.
Elizabeth Gordon (1866 - 1922) was a children's book author and poet. No information on co-author Jane Priest.
John Rae (1882 - 1963) was a portraitist, illustrator, and writer.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition*: Very Good. Lacks dust jacket, as issued. Yellow cloth cover w/ black lettering: Mild soiling from handling; darkening along the spine and small area of rubbing near the head. Pages are clean, undamaged, and intact.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.