Quincy Tahoma: The Life and Legacy of a Navajo Artist. The authoritative biography of the Navajo painter who was one of the best artists of his era.
Written by Charnell Havens and Vera Marie Badertscher. Introduction by David M. Brugge. 2011 first edition. Schiffer Publishing Ltd.
"Quincy Tahoma first attended school close to his Arizona home at the Tuba City Day School from September 1926 to May 1928. In October 1929, the Western Navajo Indian Agency assigned Quincy Tahoma (or Tohannie), enumeration number 71,254, to the Albuquerque Indian School. It is not clear why officials made the apparently random assignment of an Arizona Navajo to a school in New Mexico and then quickly moved him to another school. When Tahoma got on the train to New Mexico, he could not have imagined how far from Tuba City he would eventually travel in his life."
"Finally, here is the authoritative biography of the important Navajo painting, Quincy Tahoma (1917 - 1956). More than 260 beautiful full color images of his paintings complement the dramatic story told of his life and career as one of the best artists of his era. Tahoma's life journey includes adoption at an early ag, disappointing love affairs, recognition of his unique talent, and a meteoric rise to fame in the Santa Fe art world followed by the destructive effects of alcoholism.
After more than a decade of research into scant and often erroneous historical documentation, the authors completed this compelling true story by collecting oral histories from more than 50 people, most of whom knew Tahoma personally.
This book includes work from his formative years discovering art at the Santa Fe Indian School, through winning the coveted Philbrook Award as a young adult, to his final creations in the decade that followed. The paintings display the range of the artist's considerable talents, from the tranquil scene of a napping baby antelope to action-packed buffalo hunts. Many of the pieces shown in the book have never before been seen in public."
"We are two curious and stubborn individuals who, having started to learn about Tahoma, would not give up until we could share his life and his art."
Charnell Havens, in Virginia, was an award-winning photographer and real estate agent, a second career after more than forty years in management and management consulting.
Vera Marie Badertscher, in Tucson, was a freelance writer who specializes in travel and lifestyle articles. Her work has been published in Arizona Highways, National Geographic, and many other publications.
The co-authors are graduates of THE Ohio State University.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition*: As New. Never shelved. Offered with permission of co-author V M Badertscher. Includes signature plate, bookmark.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.