1994 bilingual English/Korean edition of The Emperor and the Nightingale, beautifully illustrated by Shih-ming Chang.
Written by Kuaung-ts'ai Hao'. Illustrated by Shih-ming Chang. Korean translation by Hyonggun Choi. May 1, 1994 first edition. Grimm Press and Pan Asian Publications USA.
The Emperor and the Nightingale
"Once, there was an Emperor who ruled the largest Kingdom on earth. Although he had everything, he was unhappy, for he wanted to be immortal and enjoy his life forever. He ordered his people to build a tall tower where he could pray, and he hoped the Gods would hear him and grant him his wish.
The people worked hard day and night. At last, after three years, the tower was built. The Emperor held a banquet at the tower and ordered the best food and wines, and offered glittering jewels to the gods.
Everyone in the kingdom came to pray, sing, eat and drink. The banquet went on for seven loud, cheerful days.
On the seventh day, the God of Heaven heard the noises and grew curious. He flew down to the tower to see what was going on. Oh! It was a fine banquet! The God of Heaven decided to take a seat at the table.
"The Emperors on Earth enjoy much more than the Gods in Heaven. Yet they are always seeking for more," sighed the God of Heaven to himself. "Still, I should have a taste of this feast before I leave." He made sure nobody was around before he began to drink. He drank till he was drunk, and when he got up, he dropped the magic bag containing all earthly tragedies: sickness, pain, hatred... The Gods were powerless without this bag."
The Emperor learns what is truly important, but also, to be very careful of what one wishes for.
The author of "The Emperor and the Nightingale", an English/Korean bilingual edition, borrowed from Hans Christian Andersen's "The Nightingale" but the two stories are quite different.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition*: Near Fine. Lacks dust jacket. Name inscribed on front flyleaf.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.