1959 Looking Glass Library edition of The Story of The Amulet, the third and final book of the Psammead series by Edith Nesbit.
Written by E. Nesbit. Illustrated by J. S. Goodall. 1959, first edition thus. (Originally published in 1906.) Looking Glass Library. Epstein and Carroll Associates, publishers.
In Edith Nesbit's classic trilogy, the Psammead series, the Five Children - Cyril, Anthea, Robert, Jane, and baby brother, Lamb - embark on great adventures, thanks to a magical creature - the Psammead - that grants their wishes.
In the second book, the children discover that the second-hand carpet in their nursery flies!
"Nor is this all - from an egg that falls out of the carpet hatches a flame-colored bird, the Phoenix, whose assistance and advice prove invaluable. They find hidden treasure in France and with it restore the fortunes of a little boy who is heir to a castle; their own house is invaded by a thousand Persian cats, a cow, and a burglar, who eventually marries the cook on an island in the South Seas."
The Five Children and It (1902)
The Phoenix and the Carpet (1904)
The Story of The Amulet (1906)
The Story of The Amulet inspired C.S. Lewis to borrow a few of Nesbit's ideas or conventions for the Chronicles of Narnia.
Edith Nesbit (1858 - 1924) was one of the great children's authors and influenced writers from C.S. Lewis to J.K. Rowling. Her work includes the Bastable Series (The Story of the Treasure Seekers, The Wouldbegoods, The New Treasure Seekers), The Psammead Series (Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Carpet, and The Story of the Amulet), and stand-alone novels such as The Railway Children, The Enchanted Castle, and The Magic City. She was also an interesting character in her own right with a full and colorful life.
Nesbit placed children in their time and gave them real-world challenges, woven in with magic. As Gore Vidal wrote more than fifty years ago in the New York Review of Books, "...she was able to create a world of magic and inverted logic that was entirely her own."
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition*: Very Good/Very Good. Dust jacket: Sunned along the interior exposed edges; lightly soiled from handling; partial moisture ring on the front, dampstain visible on the inside jacket; slightly bumped at the corners; chipped at the head and tail of the spine; small closed tear lower back. Cover boards: mild edge wear at the head and tail. Interior pages: Minor soiling of the text block else pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
* Based on Guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.