Written by Harry Leon Wilson. Illustrated by Rose Cecil O'Neill. August, 1905, first edition. Lothrop Publishing Company, Boston.
THE BOOK OF COLONEL POTTS
How the Boss Won His Title
"Late last Thursday evening one Jonas Rodney Potts, better known to this community as "upright" Potts, stumbled into the mill-race, where it had providentially been left open just north of Cady's Mill. Everything was going along finely until two hopeless busybodies were attracted to the spot by his screams, and fished him out. It is feared that he will recover. We withhold the names of his rescuers, although under strong temptation to publish them broadcast." - Little Arcady Argus of May 21st.
"Looking back to that time from a happier present, I am filled by a genuine awe of J. Rodney Potts. Reflecting upon those benign ends which the gods chose to make him serve, I can but marvel how lightly each of us may meet and scorn a casual Potts, unrecking his gracious and predestined office in the play of Fate."
Harry Leon Wilson (1867 - 1939) was an author and dramatist, and The Boss of Little Arcady was his fifth book. Wilson belonged to the Bohemian literary community of Carmel, CA, which included Upton Sinclair, Jack London, Ambrose Bierce, Alice MacGowan, and Sinclair Lewis.
Rose Cecil O'Neill (1874 - 1944) was a cartoonist, illustrator, artist, and writer, and Wilson's second wife and illustrator of four of his books. She earned fame and great fortune as the creator of the Kewpie, the most popular cartoon character next to Mickey Mouse. Frankly, Rose was an exceedingly interesting person.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition*: Very Good. Lacks dust jacket, as issued. Green cloth cover boards with embossed white and beige cover design: White soiling on the back; slightly bumped at the corners; light edgewear; back has bend in upper corner. Inside: Small brown spot and chip on front flyleaf; tissue protecting the frontispiece is missing; deckle edge pages are lightly tanned. I've left the powdery white soiling on the back as-is so that it can be professionally cleaned.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.