1985 first edition, first English translation of The Cunning Little Vixen by Rudolf Tesnohlidek, illustrated by Maurice Sendak.
Written by Rudolf Tesnohlidek. Translated by Tatiana Firkusny, Maritza Morgan, Robert T. Jones. Illustrated by Maurice Sendak. 1985, first edition. Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
"Smooth white logs, and those damned thieves stole them right out from under my nose," snarled forester Bartos as he stormed out the door of the police station. His rage was gradually ebbing, the way a hurricane ebbs, but thunder still roared through the dark corners of his soul."
"The Cunning Little Vixen focuses on two characters, the forester Bartos, a man coming to grips with nature, and Vixen Sharp-Ears, an innocent who abandons innocence in order to survive.
"Rudolf Tesnohlidek, a journalist in the Moravian city of Brno, wrote The Cunning Little Vixen as a newspaper serial, fitting it to student sketches by the artist Stanslav Lolek. The illustrated serial ran in the Brno newspaper Lidove Noviny in the spring of 1920 and made such a stir that it came out in book form a year later. It has been continuously in print ever since..."
Maurice Sendak (1928 - 2012) is the only American to receive the Hans Christian Andersen Award for lifetime acheivements in children's book illustration. He was also awarded the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award, the Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal, and the Caldecott Medal. Sendak was author and illustrator of Where The Wild Things Are, In The Night Kitchen, Outside Over There, We're All In The Dumps, Swine Lake, and many others. He illustrated works by Ruth Kraus, Else Holmelund Minarik, Meindert DeJong, the Brothers Grimm, and George Marshall. His illustrations for Brundibar and Nutcracker were taken from his designs for the scenery for these theatrical productions.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition*: Near Fine/Very Good. Dust jacket: Small scuffs front and back; two small closed tears on upper edge; slight bump to upper right corner.
*Based on guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.