1920s editions of Lorna Doone: A Romance of Exmoor by R. D. Blackmore.
Written by R. D. Blackmore. Circa 1924 or earlier. Nelson's Classics, T. Nelson & Sons Ltd, London and Edinburgh.
CHAPTER I: ELEMENTS OF EDUCATION
"If anybody cares to read a simple tale told simply, I, John Ridd, of the parish of Oare, in the county of Somerset, yeoman and churchwarden, have seen and had a share in some doings of this neighbourhood, which I will try to set down in order, God sparing my life and memory. And they who light upon this book should bear in mind, not only that I write for the clearing of our parish from ill-fame and columny, but also a thing which will, I trow, appear too often in it, to wit - that I am nothing more than a plain unlettered man, not read in foreign languages, as a gentleman might be, nor gifted with long words (even in mine own tongue), save what I may have won from the Bible, or Master William Shakespeare, whom, in the face of common opinion, I do value highly. In short, I am an ignoramus, but pretty well for a yeoman."
Lorna Doone is one of the greatest romance novels ever written, but it is also a literary achievement that has withstood the test of time, having never gone out of print. It is a Victorian-era Romeo & Juliet set within historical events, featuring yeoman courageous John Ridd and beautiful, warm-hearted Lorna, a member of the dreaded Doone family. Readers still can't put it down!
Richard Doddridge Blackmore (1825 - 1900) was one of the most successful English novelists of the late 19th century. All of his works but Lorna Doone are out of print. Now I'm curious...
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
There are no copyright or publication dates on either of the volumes, but dates of "Forthcoming Volumes" listed on the front flaps of the dust jackets start at 1924, dating publication prior to that date.
Volume I: Near Fine/Good. Dust jacket - Open tears at the head and tail of the spine; closed tear of the top right corner on back; corners bumped; crease on front; minor scuffing to cover illustration; shelf wear on top edge. Cover boards - bumped on the tail of the spine. Inside - Discoloration on front and back end papers due to glue behind paste downs; hinge is tight but a few of the signatures (bound sections) are beginning to loosen; pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Volume II: Near Fine/Good. Dust jacket - Open tear at the head of the spine, tail is chipped; small closed tear on the front, lower left; corners bumped, with a small closed tear on the foredge, lower corner; slight scuffing of cover illustration; shelf wear along top edge. Inside - Discoloration on front and back end papers due to glue behind paste downs; hinge is tight but the first signature (bound section) has been repaired at pg 33; pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
* Based on Guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.