Written and edited by James Henderson. Illustrated by John Harrold. Story coloring by Doris Campbell. 1987, original edition. Express Newspapers LTD.
Rupert Bear and his pals are as beloved in England as Charlie Brown and his pals are in the US. Rupert was the creation of English artist Mary Tourtel and first appeared in the Daily Express newspaper in 1920. Tourtel was succeeded by Alfred Bestall in 1935, who for nearly 40 years continued to develop Rupert Bear and many of the characters that inhabit Rupert's world and the village of Nutwood, and send him on great adventures. Bestall was followed by Alex Cubie 1974 - 1977, John Harrold 1978 - 2008, and Stuart Trotter 2008 - present.
The Rupert cartoons are "text comics", where the full text accompanies the illustrations rather than in speech bubbles and other text devices incorporated into the artwork. The Annuals included games, puzzles, and instructions for paperfolds. For many Rupert fans, the beautifully illustrated endpages are a favorite part of the Annuals, depicting flying umbrellas, elves, dragons and other fantastical creatures, faraway lands, and magical places.
CONTENTS FOR THE 1987 ANNUAL
Nutwood Christmas Eve - Endpaper
Rupert and the River Pirates
Rupert and the Worg Seeds
Rupert's Paper Crown
Rupert and the Lotus Isle
Rupert and Hamish
Your Own Rupert Story
Rupert and Old Tom's Trove
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition*: Near Fine. Lacks dust jacket, as issued. Dated gift inscription on front flyleaf and name written into "This Book Belongs To" bookplate on Contents page else interior pages are clean, undamaged, complete, and unclipped.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.