First American edition of The Cocktail Party by T. S. Eliot
Written by T. S. Eliot. First American edition, 1950. Harcourt, Brace and Company.
T. S. Eliot (1888 - 1965) was a poet, playwright, and publisher, and winner of the Nobel Prize in literature in 1948 "as one of the most daring innovators of 20th C. poetry". The Cocktail Party was first performed at the Edinburgh Festival in 1949, and the New York production of play won the Tony Award for best play in 1950.
"The Cocktail Party is Mr. Eliot's first play since The Family Reunion (1939), and his first verse since Four Quartets (1943). The London drawing-room of Wedward and Lavinia Chamberlayne, whose marriage is breaking up, is the setting of all but one scene in the play. Act Two takes place in the consulting room of a psychiatrist.
Act I. Scene 1.
"The drawing room of the Chamberlayne's London flat. Early evening. Edward Chamberlayne, Julia Shuttlethwaite, Celia Coplestone, Peter Quilpe, Alexander MacColgie Gibbs, and an Unidentified Guest.
"You've missed the point completely, Julia:
There were no tigers. That was the point.
"Then what we you doing, up in a tree:
You and the Maharaja?
"My dear Julia!
It's perfectly hopeless. You haven't been listening.
"You'll have to tell us all over again, Alex.
"I never tell the same story twice."
"A real contribution to dramatic literature and to the contemporary theatre. I was both moved by what Eliot has to say and the skill with which he says it." - New York Times
"The Cocktail Part is a masterpiece of the modern stage. ...extraordinarily moving and inspiring." NY Daily News
"...one of the two or three finest plays of the post-war English speaking stage." NY Post
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition*: Very Good/Acceptable. Dust jacket: Open tears front and back; the front flap is separating at the fold; some soiling and dampstain; penciled notes on back The jacket is held together by a clear jacket protector. There's dampstain on the upper right corner of the text block, visible on the jacket and many of the pages. Head of the spine is chipped and the cover boards show minor edge wear. The original New York bookstore stamped in green on the back flyleaf, and "2074" in black ink on the back endpaper.
* Based on Guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.