Written and illustrated by William Nicholas. 1986 edition. Doubleday and Co. (First published in 1926 by William Heinemann Ltd, London).
Mary's aunt invites her to visit. In packing and repacking to fit her favorite things into her suitcase she overlooks her toy soldier, Bill Davis, and leaves for the train. Bill Davis runs after her and meets her at the train. Mary is so relieved. Clever Bill.
William Nicholson's masterful wood cut prints tell the story of Mary and her soldier Bill Davis so clearly, and with such poignancy, that Clever Bill ushered in the era of artistically illustrated children's books.
This is not a first edition but a faithful reprint, circa 1946 - 1986. A first edition Clever Bill is worth much more. Lacking a publication date, the fact that Doubleday and Company only operated under that business name from 1946 - 1986 places publication during this period.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition*: Near fine/Very Good. Illustrated cover boards. Dust jacket: light soiling at the tail of the spine, front and back; minor shelf wear. Spine is bumped at the tail, leaving a small closed tear in the hinge. Child's name on the front endpaper.
*Based on guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.