Viniana by Charles Walter Berry. A signed copy of No. 65 out of one hundred copies of this special edition.
Written by Charles Walter Berry. Introduction by H. Warner Allen. Published in London, 1929, by Constable & Co. LTD.
In the early 20th century, cousins Charles Walter Berry and Francis Berry led the venerable Berry Bros & Co. of St. James's Place, established in 1698 as a grocer's and coffee seller, into the wine and spirits business now known as Berry Bros and Rudd LTD, and became among the most famous of all wine merchants, as well as the makers of Cutty Sark. And they had stories to tell. In Viviana, Berry tells the stories of claret, burgundy, and champagne, accompanied by eight delightful color illustrations. Signed by "Chas. W. Berry".
"There are not a great many men to be found who know as much about wine, its subtle beauties and its delicate delights, as C. W. Berry; and all his knowledge, appreciation and generosity are at the disposal of his friends. There is a free masonry among wine-lovers. In that goodly fellowship the man who by some divine chance has unearthed a rare and precious bottle is at once preoccupied with an anxious thought: he feels that he owes it to a noble wine to share it with some other wine-lover worthy to enjoy its quality and able to discuss its peculiar merits. Selfishness is a vice unknown to the wine-lover, but there are few worshipers of Baccus so desperate in their generosity as the author of Viniana. ..."
The Claret Dinner
The Burgundy Dinner
The Champagne Dinner
THE CHAMPAGNE DINNER
"This evening we must dismiss from our minds those still, yet exhilarating, wines which we have recently considered and turn our attention to the Sparkling Wines of Rhems and its neighbourhood.
"The follow, we will have an extraordinary treat in the shape of one or two wines which are known as the "Essence" of Tokay, but I will not enlarge on these at the present. To follow these, we will intimately dwell on the product of the Grande Champagne, Charente.
"As an envoy, I think that we should raise a glass to the immortal memory of Dom Perignon, the illustrious old monk who was the cellarer at the Abbey of Haut Villliers between the years 1670 and 1715. Through his daily intercourse with wine, he earned the reputation of having a palate of such extreme delicacy as to be able to distinguish what species of grapes were used in the making of any particular wine. It is to him that we owe the discovery of effervescent wine; so, Gentleman, here's to his cunning. ..."
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition*: Very Good. Lacks dust jacket, as issued. Signed by author. Price of 3lbs 10 penciled in top left corner of front endpaper. Marbled cover boards, deckled heavy linen paper, gold top stain on text block. Cover boards: Mild edge wear; corners are bumped; small, hard-to-see bump on front fore edge, the size of a fingertip; gentle fading along vellum spine, small closed tear at tail. Binding and hinges are tight and secure, pages are clean, crisp, and undamaged. Beginnings of foxing on the back endpapers.
* Based on Guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.