First edition of Children of the Lamp: The Akhenaten Adventure by P.B Kerr. John and Philippa discover they're descended from djinn and set off on a grand adventure.
Written by P. B. Kerr. Stated first edition, first printing Oct 2004. Orchard Books, an imprint of Scholastic, Inc.
The Akhenaten Adventure is the first book in the Children of the Lamp series.
"It was just after noon on a hot summer's day in Egypt. Hussein Hussaout, his twelve-year-old son, Baksheesh, and their dog, Effendi, were camped in the desert twenty miles south of Cairo. As usual, they were digging illegally for historical artifacts that they might sell in their shop. Nothing moved in the desert save a snake, a dung beetle, a small scorpion, and in the distance, a donkey pulling a wooden cart, which was laden with palm leaves, up a dirt track. Otherwise all was solitude and searing stillness, and the casual visitor would hardly have imagined that this barren edge of rock and sand was part of the largest archaeological site in Egypt and that an incalculable wealth of monuments and treasures still lay hidden beneath this arid wasteland. ..."
CHAPTER 1 - THE NAMING OF DOGS
"Mr. and Mrs. Edward Gaunt lived in New York at Number 7, East 77th Street, in an old townhouse with seven floors. They had two children, John and Philippa, who despite being twelve-year-old twins, were the least identical twins imaginable (which was much to their own relief and satisfaction). People found it hard to believe that they could be twins at all, they were so different. John, who was older by ten minutes, was tall and thin with straight brown hair and liked to wear black. Philippa was smaller with wavy red hair and horn-rimmed glasses that made her look like the more intelligent of the two; she liked to wear pink. They both felt a little sorry for identical twins and believed that they had had a lucky escape, although it could be annoying when people remarked on how they didn't look alike, as if no one had ever noticed that before.
Inside their heads, however, it was a very different story. John and Philippa often thought very similar thoughts. ..."
When they discover they're descended from djinn, or genies, and meet their Uncle Nimrod, the two stories converge into a grand adventure.
P. B. Kerr is Philip Kerr, author of well-received adult thrillers. This is his first children's book.
The other books in the Children of the Lamp series:
The Blue Djinn of Babylon
The Cobra King of Kathmandu
The Day of the Djinn Warriors
The Eye of the Forest
The Five Fakirs of Faizabad
The Grave Robbers of Genghis Khan (the final book)
Visit Thecharmedbookshop.com for a complete selection of first edition children's books.
*Based on guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.