Written by P. B. Kerr. First edition, Oct 2004. Orchard Books, an imprint of Scholastic, Inc.
The Akhenaten Adventure is the first book in the Children of the Lamp series.
"It was just after noon on a hot summer's day in Egypt. Hussein Hussaout, his twelve-year-old son, Baksheesh, and their dog, Effendi, were camped in the desert twenty miles south of Cairo. As usual, they were digging illegally for historical artifacts that they might sell in their shop. Nothing moved in the desert save a snake, a dung beetle, a small scorpion, and in the distance, a donkey pulling a wooden cart, which was laden with palm leaves, up a dirt track. Otherwise all was solitude and searing stillness, and the casual visitor would hardly have imagined that this barren edge of rock and sand was part of the largest archaeological site in Egypt and that an incalculable wealth of monuments and treasures still lay hidden beneath this arid wasteland. ..."
CHAPTER 1 - THE NAMING OF DOGS
"Mr. and Mrs. Edward Gaunt lived in New York at Number 7, East 77th Street, in an old townhouse with seven floors. They had two children, John and Philippa, who despite being twelve-year-old twins, were the least identical twins imaginable (which was much to their own relief and satisfaction). People found it hard to believe that they could be twins at all, they were so different. John, who was older by ten minutes, was tall and thin with straight brown hair and liked to wear black. Philippa was smaller with wavy red hair and horn-rimmed glasses that made her look like the more intelligent of the two; she liked to wear pink. They both felt a little sorry for identical twins and believed that they had had a lucky escape, although it could be annoying when people remarked on how they didn't look alike, as if no one had ever noticed that before.
Inside their heads, however, it was a very different story. John and Philippa often thought very similar thoughts. ..."
When they discover they're descended from djinn, or genies, and meet their Uncle Nimrod, the two stories converge into a grand adventure.
P. B. Kerr is Philip Kerr, author of well-received adult thrillers. This is his first children's book.
The other books in the Children of the Lamp series:
The Blue Djinn of Babylon
The Cobra King of Kathmandu
The Day of the Djinn Warriors
The Eye of the Forest
The Five Fakirs of Faizabad
The Grave Robbers of Genghis Khan (the final book)
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.
Nov 14, 2023
The packaging was so cute! And the book was in great condition of course 😊