Written by Harper Lee. First edition, 2015. Harper, an imprint of HarperCollins, Publishers.
"Every man's island, Jean Louise, every man's watchman, is his conscience."
Harper Lee first submitted Go Set A Watchman to her editor, and in this early draft, Jean Louise, a young woman who'd left Monroeville, Alabama for New York City, comes home and has her childhood illusions of her father and her hometown shattered by the reality of racism in the Deep South in the 1950s. Her editor believed it was too difficult a story for their readers' sensibilities at the time, in the early days of the Civil Rights movement, and suggested a rewrite from Jean Louise's perspective as a young girl. The result two years later, To Kill A Mockingbird, sealed our affection for Atticus, Scout, Jem and Boo, and our understanding of Tom Robinson, and is revered today as "our national novel".
The New York Times wrote:
"One of the emotional through-lines in both “Mockingbird” and “Watchman” is a plea for empathy — as Atticus puts it in “Mockingbird” to Scout: “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” The difference is that “Mockingbird” suggested that we should have compassion for outsiders like Boo and Tom Robinson, while “Watchman” asks us to have understanding for a bigot named Atticus."
Watchman and Mockingbird are two sides of the same coin. Where Mockingbird is idealistic, Watchman is true. To be able to imagine the best we can be, we have to know who we are.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Near Fine/Near Fine. The inside lower edge of the dust jacket shows a small blue stain, apparently from the cover board, though there are no signs of moisture on the boards, text block, or pages.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.