Written by George Bernard Shaw. Illustrated by George Him. Deluxe edition, 1966. Heritage Press, New York.
George Bernard Shaw, or, as he preferred, Bernard Shaw, born in Dublin in 1856, was a playwright, theater critic, and political activist. He wrote over sixty plays over a long life and won the Nobel Prize in literature in 1925.
The Sandglass newsletter, also published by Heritage Press and included with every volume, states:
"Shaw revolutionized the English stage. He forced people to reconsider their old habits of thoughts, for almost every one of his plays is a dramatized sermon on the desperate need to reform society before it is too late. He fought against poverty, exploitation of people, vivisection, censorship, divorce laws, blinding patriotism, and pessimism. The things he fought for included a national theatre, a form of Socialism, a new phonetic alphabet and simplified spelling."
Shaw originally wrote Three Plays for Puritans - Devil's Disciple, Caesar and Cleopatra, and Captain Brassbound's Conversion - but Heritage Press excluded Captain Brassbound's Conversation as the lesser of the three.
From the newsletter:
"We who see or read The Devil's Disciple are certainly a little better educated regarding Shaw's ideas on intellectual freedom and the military mind. And in Caesar and Cleopatra, Shaw tells us something about genius and greatness."
Artist George Him (1900- 1982) was a Polish-born British graphic designer and illustrator well-known for advertising graphics and illustrated books.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition*: Near Fine/Good. Without dust jacket, as issued. The pale yellow slipcase is moisture stained at the tale of the spine and soiled along the spine. Includes Heritage Press Sandglass newsletter that accompanied the book.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.