First edition of Creative Puzzles of the World, hundreds of classic and modern puzzles of all kinds to challenge puzzle-lovers of all ages.
Created by Pieter Van Delft & Jack Boterman. First edition, 1978. Harry N. Abrams, Inc. Publishers, New York.
Introduction by Prof. Dr. Ir. W. L. van der Poel. Text by Chris Cooper and Charmian Murley. Special consultants: Prof. J. H. de Boer, Prof. Dr. C. J. Bouwkamp, Stewart T. Coffin, and Prof. Dr. Ir. W. L. van de Poel.
This out-of-print collection of hundreds of classic and modern puzzles that also demonstrate the history of puzzles will challenge and entertain, and at times frustrate, puzzle-lovers of all ages.
From the introduction:
"Nearly all human beings love to test their wits on puzzles. In solving them they are exercising skills that are characteristically human, shared to only a small degree by other species. ... Many of the puzzles we encounter do not require great originality to solve them, for past experience gives us methods of approaching them. ... Perhaps the most satisfying kind of puzzle is one whose solution comes only with a change of viewpoint when the usual approaches have been completely exhausted.
There is an old tale about a young woman who in a flash of insight solved an apparently impossible problem. Her father owed a large debt to an evil moneylender and had no hope of paying it. The moneylender offered to release the father from his debt if he agreed to a wager. The moneylender would place a black pebble and a white one in a bag and the daughter would take only one from it. If her luck was good and she retrieved the white pebble, the moneylender would make no claim against the father. However, if she took the black pebble, she would have to marry the moneylender. With no other choice available, the father and daughter agreed to the wage. The moneylender picked up a handful of pebbles from the hundreds that were lying around. He dropped two into the bag - but the sharp-eyed daughter saw that they were both black. Her dilemma was terrifying. If she exposed the moneylender as a cheat, he would certainly have her father sent to prison for nonpayment of a debt. On the other hand, if she took a pebble, she would be compelled to marry the hated moneylender. Trying to find the daughter's solution should be quite tantalizing to the reader.
The girl turned the moneylender's trick against him in an ingenious way. She quickly took a pebble, fumbled in feigned nervousness, and dropped it before anyone could see its color. It was immediately lost among the myriad pebbles on the ground. "It's all right," she said, "we can easily find out what color it was, for it was the opposite of the pebble that is still in the bag." Thus she was able to "prove" that the pebble she had taken was actually white.
The heroine's shift of attention from the pebble she was to select to the pebble that would remain is perhaps typical of what happens when we have a flash of insight into a problem."
Construction Puzzles and Packing Problems
Mazes and Labyrinths
Number and Logic Puzzles
Crossing the Water Puzzles
Puzzles with Checkers
Sliding Block Puzzles
Solutions to the Puzzles
Condition*: Near Fine/Near Fine. The laminated dust jacket has a minor scuff on the back. There's a shadow from a small label on the front free endpaper.
Based on guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.