First edition of Aladdin and the Enchanted Lamp by Philip Pullman, illustrated by Sophy Williams. Pullman returns the story to China, wear Aladdin was born and lived to tell the tale of the magic lantern.
Written by Philip Pullman. Illustrated by Sophy Williams. 2005 first edition, first printing. Arthur A. Levine Books, an imprint of Scholastic, Inc.
One of the interesting differences in Pullman's retelling of the story of Aladdin is that he returns it to China, where it all began.
"Once upon a time in China, there lived a boy called Aladdin. He was the son of a tailor called Mustafa, and he made his poor father's life a misery. He ran about the marketplace all day long with a lot of other rogues and scoundrels, getting into trouble, making mischief, and laughing at everyone who tried to make him behave. He wouldn't take up any trade, he wouldn't get a job, and in the end it was too much for Mustafa, who went into a decline and died of worry."
Aladdin's mother is left to continue spinning cotton to earn their meager living. Meanwhile, a sorcerer who we only know as the Moor has been watching and waiting for his moment to snatch Aladdin away in fulfillment of a vision that will bring him vast wealth and power. When Mustafa dies the Moor seizes the moment. He introduces himself to Aladdin and his mother as his father's brother. Uncle! She has her doubts but Aladdin is seduced by the Moor's appearance of family ties and great wealth. He promises to make Aladdin a wealthy merchant and lures him into descending into an underground passage that leads to a magical garden and bringing back a lantern that will transform their lives. Aladdin fetches the lantern but at the entrance to the passageway he balks, now suspicious the Moor is up to no good. The sorcerer flies into a rage and closes the passageway at both ends and leaves Aladdin to die. After three days alone, in the dark, Aladdin is ready to die, then he inadvertently rubs the lamp, which calls the jinnie, slave to whoever owns the lantern. "But so much for them..."
Philip Pullman has received the Carnegie Medal among other honors:
Man Booker International Prize, 2011
Carnegie of Carnegies, 2007
Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award (Sweden), 2005
Carnegie Medal, 1996, 1997, 2005
British Book Awards Author of the Year, 2001, 2003
British Book Awards Children's Book of the Year, 1996, 2000, 2003
Learn more about Philip Pullman at Goodreads.
Condition*: Near Fine/Near Fine. The book is in near-near condition and the dust jacket shows only minor shelf wear.
*Based on guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Visit The Charmed Bookshop at Etsy!
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.