First edition of Egyptology: Search for the Tomb of Osiris. What happened to Miss Emily Sands? The Journal of Miss Emily Sands takes you on a tour of Egypt to find the answer.
Written by Dugold Steer. Nghiem Fa, organizer. Ian Anderson, draftsman. Artwork by Nick Harris, Helen Ward. 2004, first U.S. edition. Candlewick Press.
Egyptology is presented as a journal kept by Miss Emily Sands, an Egyptologist last seen in 1926 when her archaeology expedition disappeared without a trace while searching for the tomb of Osiris. As the story goes, the journal was given to the publisher by her great-niece, Joanna Sutherland.
Ms. Sutherland writes in a letter to the publishers:
"In 1926, four years after the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamen, a group of Egyptologists led by my great-aunt set out across Egypt, armed with a papyrus text of almost unimaginable antiquity. This papyrus had been brought to England some time in the early eighteenth century, and then found its way into the possession of the Farncombe family. I remember reading somewhere that there was speculation that this precious manuscript described the actual location of the lost tomb of Osiris... It appears that my great-aunt, being a good friend of the then Lady Farncombe, was shown the text, whereupon she persuaded her friend to mount an expedition to seek out the lost tomb. The expedition went ahead in November 1926, but after several progress reports, my great-aunt and her companions vanished into the desert, never to be heard of again. ... I had almost forgotten the stories of my great-aunt and her strange disappearance until May 1994, when I received a packet of papers and notebooks that had been forwarded from Patsy's Hotel in Cairo. ... I was shocked to see that the papers were in my great-aunt's handwriting. ... As I read through my great-aunt's journal, I became more and more convinced that she had indeed discovered something of tremendous importance...."
Ms. Sutherland hoped that publication of the journal would capture the attention of someone who could resolve the mystery of her great-aunt Emily Sands's disappearance.
The journal, organized as a scrapbook, describes Egyptian history, culture, important archaeological discoveries, and how to translate hieroglyphs in the course of searching for the lost tomb of Osiris.
It's a wonderful, creative way to introduce children to the wonders of Egypt. If you're willing to give up the book!
Egyptology is the second book in the Ologies series published by Templar (UK) and Candlewick Press (US): Dragonology, Egyptology, Wizardology, Pirateology, Mythology, Monsterology, Spyology, Oceanology, Vampireology, Alienology, Illusionology, Dinosaurology, Dungeonology, and Knightology.
Condition*: Near Fine. Without dust jacket, as issued. The back cover board is mildly scuffed from normal shelf wear, and there's a bump and small split at the head of the spine. All the interior pages are in fine condition, complete with fold-outs, ephemera, and other pieces.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.