Written by Dugold Steer. Nghiem Fa, organizer. Ian Anderson, draftsman. Artwork by Nick Harris, Helen Ward. 2004, first U.S. edition. Candlewick Press.
Egyptology is presented as a journal kept by Miss Emily Sands, an Egyptologist last seen in 1926 when her archaeology expedition disappeared without a trace while searching for the tomb of Osiris. As the story goes, the journal was given to the publisher by her great-niece, Joanna Sutherland.
Ms. Sutherland writes in a letter to the publishers:
"In 1926, four years after the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamen, a group of Egyptologists led by my great-aunt set out across Egypt, armed with a papyrus text of almost unimaginable antiquity. This papyrus had been brought to England some time in the early eighteenth century, and then found its way into the possession of the Farncombe family. I remember reading somewhere that there was speculation that this precious manuscript described the actual location of the lost tomb of Osiris... It appears that my great-aunt, being a good friend of the then Lady Farncombe, was shown the text, whereupon she persuaded her friend to mount an expedition to seek out the lost tomb. The expedition went ahead in November 1926, but after several progress reports, my great-aunt and her companions vanished into the desert, never to be heard of again. ... I had almost forgotten the stories of my great-aunt and her strange disappearance until May 1994, when I received a packet of papers and notebooks that had been forwarded from Patsy's Hotel in Cairo. ... I was shocked to see that the papers were in my great-aunt's handwriting. ... As I read through my great-aunt's journal, I became more and more convinced that she had indeed discovered something of tremendous importance...."
Ms. Sutherland hoped that publication of the journal would capture the attention of someone who could resolve the mystery of her great-aunt Emily Sands's disappearance.
The journal, organized as a scrapbook, describes Egyptian history, culture, important archaeological discoveries, and how to translate hieroglyphs in the course of searching for the lost tomb of Osiris.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Near Fine. Without dust jacket, as issued. The back cover board is mildly scuffed from normal shelf wear, and there's a bump and small split at the head of the spine. All the interior pages are in fine condition, complete with fold-outs, ephemera, and other pieces.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.