Written and illustrated by Miroslav Sasek. 2008, Universe Publishing, a division of Rizzoli International Publications. With permission from Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.
Artist Miroslav Sasek (1916 - 1980) moved from Prague to Munich after the Communist take-over of Czechoslovakia in 1944. While trained as an architect he worked as a painter and illustrator.
In 1959, Sasek embarked on a series of travel books for children, beginning with This Is Paris, followed the same year by This Is London. He cleverly begins the tour with a grayish-brown page to give a sense of London fog. We then walk the streets of London and learn the difference between London and the City of London, ride the Underground, meet a policeman, and visit Parliament, Westminster, The London Zoo, and the British Museum, and stop for tea.
In all, he wrote and illustrated 19 "This Is" travel books, from Paris and London to Greece, Texas, San Francisco, Australia, and Hong Kong to Cape Canaveral and the United Nations.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Very Good/Very Good. The dust jacket shows shelf wear along the top.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.