A faithful 1966 reissue of The Most Delectable History of Reynard The Fox, edited by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by W. Frank Calderon, published by Schocken Books.
Edited by Joseph Jacobs. Illustrated by W. Frank Calderon. Introduction by Philip Rieff. 1966 edition. Schocken Books, New York. (A faithful reissue of the Jacobs edition first published in 1895.)
Fables are intended to teach a lesson and this story's may be summarized as, "Judge not, lest ye be judged".
Reynard the Fox is a thousand year-old epic fable about a villainous fox who preys upon other animals and delights in their mishaps and suffering, even as he's brought to the attention of the King, who instead of rendering justice for the fox's victims admonishes them for their own dishonesty and guile and rewards a humbled Reynard with a position in the King's counsel.
Joseph Jacobs (1854-1916) was a distinguished scholar, educator, writer, and folklorist who was born in Australia, spent much of his life in England, and came to the United States to serve as revising editor of the Jewish Encyclopedia and later to teach at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York.
In England, Jacobs collected and edited a broad selection of traditional Indian, European, Celtic, English, and Jewish tales for young readers. Two collections of English fairy tales popularized stories such as The Magic Fiddle, Jack and The Beanstalk, Goldilocks and The Three Bears, The Three Little Pigs, The Pied Piper, and many others.
Jacobs edited Reynard The Fox in 1895. The classic version, of Dutch, German, French, and English ancestry, first appeared in writing in the 12th C and satirized the Church and ruling elites. The Victorian regard for public decency and childhood sensibilities preferred a less violent, more forgiving Reynard. Jacobs was skilled at editing ancient stories for modern readers while preserving their roots and integrity.
Schocken Books, founded in Berlin in 1931, was shut down by the Nazis in 1939. By then, Jewish authors could only be published by a Jewish publishing house. Founder Salman Schocken went to Palestine in 1934, then the United States in 1940, and re-established Schocken Books in 1945. Schocken continues to publish literary works by Jewish authors as an imprint of PenguinRandom House.
Condition*: Very Good. Lacks dust jacket. Cloth cover boards are slightly bumped at the head and tail of the spine and corners due to normal shelf wear else a clean, tight, lightly read copy.
*Based on guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.