Shakespeare Stories, Volumes I and II, written by Leon Garfield, illustrated by Michael Foreman. A two-book set of one of the best introductions to Shakespeare for children and young adults.
Shakespeare Stories I. 1985, first American edition, third printing. Schocken Books.
Shakespeare Stories II. 1994, first published in Great Britain in 1994. Victor Gollancz, an imprint of A. Cassell, publishers.
How do you make Shakespeare accessible to children, from generation to generation? Leon Garfield's Shakespeare Stories Volumes I (1985) and II (1994) were widely acclaimed for accomplishing this feat when published and are still considered among the best introductions to Shakespeare ever created for children and young adults.
The New York Times Book Review called Garfield's work "masterly".
"Leon Garfield's performance in ''Shakespeare Stories'' is masterly. In narratives of remarkable clarity the British writer tells the stories of a dozen plays -five tragedies, four comedies, two histories and ''The Merchant of Venice.'' That last one and ''The Taming of the Shrew,'' ''Twelfth Night'' and ''A Midsummer Night's Dream'' best reveal the virtuosity Mr. Garfield has developed in many years of writing dozens of children's books and historical novels... In Mr. Garfield's deft narratives the laughter is the same that one finds in the plays, but so is the uneasiness - brought on by the angry departure of Malvolio...the pain of Shylock...or the unsettling transformation of Kate into a dutiful wife. He gets the balances right... Possibly just as important for the audience of young teen-agers the book seems meant for primarily (although it can be a pleasure for anyone older than that to read these versions), he holds each story to about 5,000 words."
Read the rest of the review:
I'm keeping the two books together, as I found them. There's a story behind the fact that Shakespeare II is a true first edition, while Shakespeare I is a third printing. I like the idea that the person who bought the first volume enjoyed it so much he/she bought the second volume 11 years later as soon as it was available
Contents Shakespeare I:
The Merchant of Venice
The Tamng of the Shrew
King Richard the Second
King Henry IV, Part One
Romeo and Juliet
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Content Shakespeare II:
Much Ado About Nothing
Antony and Cleopatra
Measure for Measure
As You Like It
King Richard the Third
The Comedy of Errors
The Winter's Tale
Leon Garfield (1921 - 1996) was an accomplished, award-winning British author of books for children and adults, known for adventure stories based on historic events. He won the Carnegie Medal for The God Beneath The Sea (1970) and was a three-time Carnegie runnerup for Smith, Black Jack, and Drummer Boy.
Discover more of Garfield's books at Goodreads.
Michael Foreman (1938 - ) is a much-loved British writer and illustrator of children's books, and his work for the Shakespeare Stories would have pleased the Bard. He is a two-time winner of the Kate Greenaway Award, the UK's highest honor for children's book illustration, in 1982 for War Boy: A Country Childhood and in 1989 for Long Neck and Thunder Foot (written by Helen Piers), and Sleeping Beauty and Other Favourite Fairy Tales (translated by Angela Carter).
Discover more of Foreman's books at Goodreads: Goo.gl/uiXPGR
Condition*: This is a two-book set. Shakespeare II is a first edition.
Shakespeare I Fine/Fine.
Shakespeare II Fine/Near Fine. The dust jacket shows minor scuffing from normal shelf wear.
*Based on guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.