First edition of Workshop by Andrew Clements and David Wisniewski: Cut paper illustrates a carpenter and apprentice building a carousel.
Written by Andrew Clements, illustrated by David Wisniewski. April 1999, first edition, first printing. Houghton Mifflin Company.
A carpenter and his apprentice build a carousel, and each set of pictures descibes a tool. Axe, saw, hammer, anvil, grinder, chisel, shears, knife, screwdriver, drill, pliers, wrench.
The process of building this book is no less impressive than building a carousel.
Wisniewski (1953 - 2002) won the 1997 Caldecott Medal for Golem and also illustrated Elfwyn's Saga, Rain Player and The Wave of the Sea-Wolf, and The Secret Life of Grown-Ups.
An interview with Wisniewski in Publisher's Weekly:
"[Wisniewski's] closely observed settings are constructed from cut paper, which he slices into intricate overlapping filigrees and tacks into place with pieces of photo-mounting tape. Even the tiniest details, confetti-size snips that resemble opaque paint dots, are minuscule pieces of paper.
When beginning a project, Wisniewski first does a set of color sketches. He expands these pieces into black-and-white drawings. Later, he will use the sketches as carbon-paper transfers and as templates for his cutout shapes. Finally, he colors the black-and-whites, chooses a palette and orders colored paper. With the layout and color scheme finalized, Wisniewski sets about cutting and pasting units that will join together in coherent finished pieces."
Read the article: Goo.gl/CS8xkG
Andrew Clements is an award-winning children's book author with an extensive booklist and a devoted fan base.
From a School Library Journal review:
"If you’re a children’s librarian then you are probably well and truly familiar with the gaps that consistently appear in the Andrew Clements portion of your fiction shelves. Talk about a guy who has made his name memorable to kids. If they’re not devouring School Story then they’re giggling over No Talking or A Week in the Woods. And it all started with Frindle. A little book. A little idea. A title that never received an ALA Awards and yet is one of the most memorable titles to be released in the last 15 years."
Read the review: Goo.gl/7kxgSB
Condition*: Very Good/Fine. The front endpaper was folded, as shown in the photo.
*Based on guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.