First edition of Iktomi and the Coyote by Paul Goble: Iktomi the Trickster has plans for his tasty-looking prairie dog 'friends' until he makes a bad bet with Coyote.
Written and illustrated by Paul, Goble. 1998, first edition, first printing. Orchard Books, publishers.
Iktomi lets the prairie dogs believe he's their friend as he prepares to turn them into a tasty meal, until he makes a winner-take-all bet with Coyote, who is also very tricky.
Goble, a native of England and naturalized American citizen, admired and studied the history and culture of the Plains Indians. His writing and artwork are appreciated for attention to detail in Native dress, traditions, and stories. He received many book awards, including the Caldecott Medal for The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses, and the Library of Congress Book of The Year for Star Boy.
Goble prefaces Iktomi and The Coyote by telling about the Trickster in Native American cultures. In Lakota, Trickster's name is Iktomi. "He is a man with spiderlike traits, clever but untrustworthy... In Buffalo Days, Iktomi was a mirror of human nature with its range of infinite possibilities, from the divine to degredation."
He also explains where he heard the story of Iktomi and Coyote:
"Nearly forty years ago, as I was sitting with Edgar Red Cloud, Lakota, in the shade of cottonwood trees at the powwow ground in Pine Ridge, South Dakota, Edgar picked up a leaf and drew my attention to its shape. It had given Iktomi the idea for tipis, he said, and by folding the leaf Iktomi invented moccassins... 'He is rather a superman', Edgar said, 'Our people look to him. He has a life and ways that we still tell about today'. Then, with a twinkle in his eye, he recounted one of the funny stories about Iktomi the Trickster!"
More about Paul Goble: Goo.gl/2HTsBy
Other Iktomi books:
Iktomi and The Berries
Iktomi and The Boulder
Iktomi and The Buffalo Skull
Iktomi and The Buzzard
Iktomi and The Ducks
Condition*: Fine/near fine. The dust jacket shows only minor shelf wear.
*Based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.