Written by Judith Mellecker. Illustrated by Robert Andrew Parker. First edition, 1991. Borzoi Books, Alfred A. Knopf.
Britain and Germany are at war, and London is enduring The Blitz. Randolph Pearce's father is somewhere in North Africa, fighting with the Royal Armoured Corps, and his mother must make a difficult choice. Children are being sent to the countryside to escape the bombing, and she sends Randolph to live with an Aunt and Uncle in West Northrup.
If ever you dreamed of flying as a child, you'll know how real Randolph's dreams are to him. But in his most powerful dream, he finds his father lost in the desert, separated from his company, weak and without water. Randolph leads his father to an oasis where he's rejoined with his men, who give the boy water, dates, and an orange. He's not seen fresh fruit in a very long time and pockets it. The next day, before his mother boards the train to return to London, he tells her about his dream in which he saves his father and gives her the orange.
"As the train pulled out of the station, Randolph's heart was pounding in his chest. It had been hard enough to have his father gone. But to be without his mother was almost beyond imagining. Because he would not - could not - think about such a thing, he decided to open one of his packages. It contained his collections: fourteen dead moths, some pretty stones, a handful of foreign stamps, and a few maps. Randolph loved maps, with their details and odd names. He liked the fact that he could put his finger on the center of England and his thumb on the north coast of Africa; it made him feel closer to his father."
"The train rattled through the grimy outskirts of London and into the lush green landscape of the countryside. Though every seat in the compartment was occupied, Randolph talked to no one. And although the windows of the train looked out on many beautiful and interesting things for a city-raised child to wonder about - fields, farms, ruins of castles and forts - Randolph saw none of this. He looked at his collections and ate a sandwich. The hours passed."
Parker's painting for this scene is a picture of vulnerability: five children - four boys, including Randolph, and a girl - are seated on the train; their feet dangle above the floor, strewn with their packages; four are facing forward, staring off in different directions; the girl has her arm around a boy next to her; another boy is turned around with his face buried in the seat back.
Randolph's Aunt and Uncle are kind but his Aunt, in particular, is rather no-nonsense, particularly about his dreams of flying.
Robert Andrew Parker is a distinguished artist with a Guggenheim Fellowship, Caldecott Honor, and over 40 children's books to his credit. Parker and wife Judy Mellecker also teamed up for The Fox and The Kingfisher.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.