Written by Rupert Kingfisher, illustrated by Susan Hellard. First US edition, 2008. Bloomsbury Press.
In this Cinderella story set in Paris, Madeleine is sent to the city every summer to work for her uncle, Monsieur Lard, in his dreadful restaurant, the Squealing Pig. And yet, like every seemingly crooked path that leads to the place we're meant to be, uncle's nasty little restaurant leads Madeleine to Edibles, the astoundingly delicious restaurant owned by the charming Madame Pamplemousse and her cat Camember. Madeleine is dazzled by exotic dishes such as pâté of North Atlantic sea serpent with green peppercorn mustard, pterodactyl bacon, and other culinary wonders. Eventually, all of Paris is dazzled!
"Kingfisher’s first novel is a sensory delight, with well-paced prose and the playful language of Roald Dahl and Lemony Snicket, the magic of J.K. Rowling, Julia Child’s passion for French cuisine and the rhythms of Ludwig Bemelmans’s own story of a Parisian girl named Madeline. Hellard’s black-and-white line drawings help to keep this concoction lighter than air: Like a good soufflé, it puffs over the top but holds together for a delectable treat."
This is the first of Kingfisher's three-book series, which continues with Madame Pamplemousse and the Enchanted Sweet Shop and Madame Pamplemousse and the Time-Travelling Café.
According to his Bloomsbury bio, "Rupert Kingfisher's favourite authors as a child were Roald Dahl, Susan Cooper and Ursula le Guin. He also loved American horror comics and French cartoon books such as Asterix and Tintin. It was on a family holiday to Paris that he visited a bookshop dedicated to books such as Tintin - and also ate anchovies for the first time, on a pizza from a street vendor. He says that both experiences were equally life-changing." He now lives in Brentford, Middlesex.
Susan Hellard also illustrated Princesses Are Not Quitters and I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend, and the sequel, Jane Austen Stole My Boyfriend, and other Bloomsbury children's books.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition: Fine/Fine. The back of the dust jacket shows a partial shadow from a label.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.