First edition of Swine Lake by James Marshall, Maurice Sendak: The Three Little Pigs meet Swan Lake, in which the wolf attends the Boarshoi Ballet, intending to eat it, and is never the same.
Written by James Marshall, illustrated by Maurce Sendak. 1999, stated first edition. Michael di Capua Books, an imprint of Harper Collins Publishers.
Bravo! Marshall narrates a very different version of The Three Little Pigs, in which a city of sophisticated, cosmopolitan pigs - artist pigs, society pigs, glitterati pigs, wealthy hogs - attend the opening night of Swine Lake. The mangy, very hungry wolf finds himself in front of the theater, shocked and dazzled by the porcine smorgasbord, and plots to get inside and eat his fill. Providence pulls up in front of the theater in a limousine, waiving unused tickets, and the wolf snatches them and makes his way to balcony seats. The performance begins and the ballet dancing pigs leap onto the stage, and for a moment the wolf is immobilized by his choices. He settles down and waits for his moment, but by the time it arrives he's so engrossed in the story of the bride, the groom, and the monster, that his hunger vanishes. The wolf attends a second performance, not to eat his fill of dancing pigs, but to join their dance troupe.
Enjoy the word play and satire. Reading the paper over the Wolf's shoulder, we see the headline "McMansions All Fall Down" in The Daily Bacon. As he walks the streets, he passes Ferkel's Schweinerei, the Hotel Schwein, and the Porco restaurant. At the New Hamsterdam Theater, the marquee announces Swine Lake, the New York Times review blares "Pigs Do Fly!", and the sandwich board features ballerina La Grande Cochonette. Primary dancers are Monsieur Franche de Lard, Odile Chitterlings, The Trotters Brothers, and Pieds De Cochon. A poster of prima ballerina Odette Sowskaya looms large. (Reading over the shoulder of a pig in the audience, a headline reads, "The Stupids Die!", a reference to characters Marshall created.)
James Edward Marshall is the creator of George & Martha, Miss Nelson, a.k.a. Miss Viola Swamp, the Fox series, The Stupids, and The Cut-Ups. He won the Caldecott Medal in 1989 for Goldilocks and The Three Bears. In 2007 he was posthumously awarded the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award by the American Library Association for his body of work.
His friend Maurice Sendak wrote in the introduction to the George & Martha collection:
“Marshall is the last of a long line of masters that began in the late 19th century with the preeminent English illustrator Randolph Caldecott; then continued in our century with Jean de Brunhoff in France and Edward Ardizzone in England; and then via Tomi Ungerer arrived full blast in America, where the laurel leaf settled finally, splendidly, on the judicious, humane, witty, and astonishingly clever head of James Marshall.”
New York Times on James (Edward) Marshall: Goo.gl/3gf8R5
Maurice Sendak, the only American to be awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Award for illustration, illustrated the Little Bear series, Where The Wild Things Are, In The Night Kitchen, Outside Over There, and many other children's books. He also created the scenery for theatrical productions, including Brundibar and Nutcracker (which you'll find at The Charmed Bookshop).
To learn more about Maurice Sendak: Goo.gl/5jjBCY
Condition*: Near fine/Near fine. The dust jacket shows minor shelf wear and barely visible sunning on the back, along the top edge.
*Based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.