Written, illustrated, and designed by Robert Sabuda. First edition, 2005. A Classic Collectible Pop-Up, Little Simon, an imprint of Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing Division.
On opening the first page of this fantastic pop-up book a snowy white owl emerges while a fold-out reveals anxious field mice. In the next scene, a pair of bushy-tailed, snowy white foxes huddle in their fox hole as a fold-out rabbit readies to leap off the page. A bear fishes in a stream that's jumping with fish. A family of deer play in the snow as squirrels in a nearby tree hoard acorns. A moose wades through a swamp as beavers build a dam. The last scene reveals a house in a forest clearing with a snowman out front that bids good-bye until next winter. The forest is alive with all the animals, and a pull-tab activates Christmas lights on the house.
Robert Sabuda is an award-winning illustrator and paper engineer. Michigan born and raised and educated at New York's prestigious Pratt Institute, Sebuda's "The Wizard of Oz" was the first pop-up book to break into the New York Times bestseller list.
"It is hard to impress children. They have seen and heard it all: the special effects, the racy and gruesome images and the strident trash talk that seems destined to poison our discourse. Pop-up books would hardly, it would seem, be able to compete.
"But Robert Sabuda's eye-popping images, which leap off the page into a child's face, are almost demeaned by the word pop-up. His readers peer down Alice's rabbit hole, see the cyclone spin in ''The Wizard of Oz'' and have all of Santa's reindeer rise up into the sky in ''The Night Before Christmas.''"
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition*: Near Fine. The cover boards show only minor shelf wear. The cut-outs, fold-outs, pull-tabs, and other mechanics are intact and in working order. I've opened the book to photograph the pop-ups only as far as the pages will go without flattening them. When paging through a moveable book, nice and easy does it.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.