First edition of Castle: Medieval Days & Knights, a moveable pop-up book about life in a castle created by Kyle Olmon, Tracy Sabin, Robert Sabuda, Matthew Reinhart.
Written and designed by Kyle Olmon, illustrated by Tracy Sabin, produced by Robert Sabuda and Matthew Reinhart. Stated first edition, first printing, 2006. Orchard Books, an imprint of Scholastic Inc., publishers.
This book is so cleverly done, a well-told story of castle life with brilliant construction, intricate illustration, and good humor. It earned its place on the New York Times best seller list.
The book is organized into sections:
- Behold, The Castle! A beautiful medieval castle unfolds, with a moat, a draw bridge, and two fold-outs that explain the history of castle-building.
- Upstairs, Downstairs. A doll house-style view of the Castle interior. Two fold-outs describe some of the more inimate aspects of castle life.
- All In A Day's Work. Crafts people that make the castle work: a woman at a spinning wheel, a chandler making candles, an atilliator making a crossbow, a stone worker, an armorer, and an ale-taster, all set in motion with two pull-tabs.
- The Knight Stuff. A gorgeous knight in full armor steps out of the pages. Two fold-outs describe medieval weapons (nothing kids haven't seen in Lord of The Rings and Hunger Games) and the knights' armor.
- Let The Games Begin. We join the King and Queen at a jousting tournament. A pull-tab sides the knights on horeback in motion.
- What A Messe! We end with a feast in the Great Hall.
Kyle Olmon is an accomplished, award-winning paper engineer, currently assistant librarian at Christie's auction house.
He has a wonderful story:
Connect with illustrator Tracy Sabin at Goodreads:
A New York Times story from 2000 on pop-up books' appeal to adults.
Condition*: Near Fine. The cover boards show only minor shelf wear. The cut-outs, fold-outs, and other mechanics are intact and in working order. The book is constructed to allow pages to lay flat without being forced and the pop-ups to fully open. When paging through a moveable book, nice and easy does it.
*Based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.