First edition of America The Beautiful, a Robert Sabuda pop-up book: follow the song "America The Beautiful" on a tour of landmarks across America.
Written, illustrated, and designed by Robert Sabuda. Stated first edition, first printing, 2004. A Classic Collectible Pop-Up, Little Simon, an imprint of Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing Division.
Sabuda's tour follows the lyrics of "America The Beautiful", beginning in California with an iconic scene: sail boats, fishing boats, and commercial ships sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge. We move on to "Amber waves of grain" and a farm on the Great Plains with a windmill and tractor, Mt. Rushmore, Mesa Verde, the Mississippi River, the U.S. Capitol and Washington Mall, New York City and the Statue of Liberty. A fold-out booklet repeats the song, illustrated by pop-ups for the Twin Towers, the Liberty Bell, the space shuttle, and an eagle.
Robert Sabuda is an award-winning illustrator and paper engineer. Michigan born and raised and educated at New York's prestigious Pratt Institute, Sebuda's "The Wizard of Oz" was the first pop-up book to break into the New York Times bestseller list.
From the NY Times:
"It is hard to impress children. They have seen and heard it all: the special effects, the racy and gruesome images and the strident trash talk that seems destined to poison our discourse. Pop-up books would hardly, it would seem, be able to compete.
"But Robert Sabuda's eye-popping images, which leap off the page into a child's face, are almost demeaned by the word pop-up. His readers peer down Alice's rabbit hole, see the cyclone spin in ''The Wizard of Oz'' and have all of Santa's reindeer rise up into the sky in ''The Night Before Christmas.''"
Public lives: In Him, Storyteller Meets Architect, Chris Hedges, NY Times, 12/9/2003.
Condition*: Very Good. The cover boards show normal shelf wear. The cut-outs, fold-outs, and other mechanics are intact and in working order. I've opened the book to photograph the pop-ups only as far as the pages will go without flattening them. The cover boards are laminated in a thin coat of plastic that shows some separation along the spine's hinges due to normal opening and closing of the book. In the section for the U.S. Capitol and Washington Mall, there is a closed tear in the lower left section of the Capitol. Please review photos. This is easily repaired but I've left it for a professional. When paging through a moveable book, nice and easy does it.
*Based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.