First edition of Dear Mili, a long-lost story by Wilhelm Grimm written for his daughter, illustrated in 1988 by Maurice Sendak, who did some of his finest work for Dear Mili.
Dear Mili, written by Wilhelm Grimm, illustrated by Maurice Sendak, translated by Ralph Mannheim. 1988, first edition. Michael di Capua Books, an imprint of Farrar, Straus and Giroux, publishers.
In 1983, a previously unknown story written by Wilhelm Grimm, of the Brothers Grimm, was purchased at auction by publishing company Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 167 years after Wilhelm wrote to "Dear Mili".
An article from the NY Times tells of how the manuscript found its way from Mili's family in Germany to a New York auction house, and summarizes Wilhelm's story:
"The story tells of a mother who sends her daughter into the woods to save her from impending war. The unnamed child, variously referred to as ''the child,'' ''the good child,'' ''the poor child'' and ''dear child,'' is led by her guardian angel to the hut of an old man who gives her shelter, and whose kindness she repays by serving him faithfully for what she thinks are three days but which are actually 30 years. When she finally leaves, he reveals himself to be St. Joseph and gives her a rosebud, saying that she will return when it is fully bloomed.
The guardian angel returns the child to her aged and still heartbroken mother. ''They sat together the whole evening in great joy, then went to bed serenely and calmly,'' the story says, ''but the next morning the neighbors found them both dead; they had blessedly departed this life, and between them lay the rose of St. Joseph in full bloom.''
New York Times story: A Fairy Tale by Grimm Comes To Light, Sept 28, 1983.
Farrar, Straus commissioned Maurice Sendak to illustrate "Dear Mili", published the following year, and it is one of his finest works.
"''Dear Mili'' is among Mr. Sendak's finest creations. If one hesitates to call him the foremost illustrator in contemporary America, or the most accomplished draftsman, it is only because those terms set too narrow a limit on the nature of his achievement. He is an artist, nothing less; an artist with a powerful vision."
New York Times Review: Books of The Times; Maurice Sendak's Mark Upon a Grimm Tale, Nov 8, 1988.
Condition*: Fine/Very good. The dust jacket has faint soiling on the back, a small shadow from a label (no remaining adhesive), and the beginnings of a closed tear on the head and tail of the spine.
*Based on guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or USPS box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise of this when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.