Written by David LaRochelle. Illustrated by Richard Egielski. First edition, 2007. Arthur A. Levine Books, an imprint of Scholastic.
"And they all lived happily ever after.
They lived happily ever after because...
the soggy knight fell in love with the clever princess.
The knight fell in love with the princess because...
she poured a big bowl of lemonade on top of his head.
She poured a bowl of lemonade on top of his head because...
the knight's curly red beard was on fire."
And so it goes, all the way back to the beginning: "Once upon a time a clever princess decided to make a big bowl of lemonade." Except that it's the end. Like eating dessert first. Well done!
Minnesota Writer's Director:
David LaRochelle is a former elementary school teacher who has been creating books for young people for 30 years. His many picture book titles include Moo!, How Martha Saved Her Parents from Green Beans, and It’s a Tiger! He is a three-time recipient of the Minnesota Book Award, as well as a winner of the Star of the North children’s choice award. When he is not writing, illustrating, or carving creative jack-o-lanterns, LaRochelle enjoys visiting many elementary schools across the state and country each year, talking to kids about books, writing, and drawing.
Richard Egielski has illustrated over fifty books for children. In 1976, he was co-creator, with author Arthur Yorinks, of nine picture books, including Hey, Al!, winner of the 1987 Caldecott Medal. He illustrated the Tub People series by Pam Conrad. The New York Times named two of his books Best Illustrated Books: BUZ (1995); Jazper (1998).
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors
Condition: Fine/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Very light shelf wear. Illustrated cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.