Written by Daisy Ashford. Illustrated by William Pene du Bois. First edition thus, 1951; original published 1919. Doubleday & Co.
"What a treat is in store for every reader who has not yet encountered The Young Visitors, and what added pleasure awaits this ageless classic of unintentional humor - a romantic novel written by a nine-year-old girl.
"As a child, Daisy Ashford possessed a keen ear for the conversations of her elders, and was avid reader of the Victorian novels of her day. From these sources, and with her own considerable talent, she fashioned the fabulous love story of naively sophisticated Ethel, handsome, wealthy Bernard, and poor Mr. Salteena, the disappointed suitor. Her genuinely delightful combination of childish and adult viewpoints, the unconscious caricature and satire of romance, make this tale still one of the funniest books ever written."
English writer Margaret Mary Julia Devlin (1881 – 1972), a.k.a. Daisy Ashford, was nine years-old when she wrote The Young Visitors, a story of 19th century upper class English society, published in 1919. The success of her first book led George H. Doran and Company to publish Daisy Ashford: Her Book: A Collection of the Remaining Novels in 1920. She invested the proceeds in a farm, and at the age of 38, married James Devlin. They grew flowers and raised four children, and she never wrote again, that anyone knows. She once said, "I like fresh air - and royalties."
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Fine/Very Good. Dust Jacket: Moderate shelf wear; light rubbing along fore edges and spine; lightly bumped at corners; lightly faded along spine, front of the jacket; small closed tear at tail of the spine; small moisture stain at tail of the spine, visible from inside; small crease on the front at upper edge; small chips along upper edge; price-clipped; shadow of small label on front flap. Illustrated cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.