Written by Rudyard Kipling. Illustrated by Bradley Clark. Published 1992. Hugh Lauter Levin Associates, Inc. for Macmillan Publishing Company, New York.
How Fear Came
"The Law of the Jungle - which is by far the oldest law in the world - has arranged for almost every kind of accident that may befall the Jungle People, till now its code is as perfect as time and custom can make it. If you have read the other stories about Mowgli, you will remember that he spent a great part of his life in the Seeonee Wolf-Pack, learning the Law from Baloo the brown bear; and it was Baloo who told him, when the boy grew impatient at the constant orders, that the Law was like the Giant Creeper, because it dropped across evert one's back and no one could escape. "When thou hast lived as long as I have, Little Brother, thou wilt see how all the Jungle obeys at least one Law. And that will be no pleasant sight," said Baloo."
"Mowgli, lost as an infant 'man cub' deep in the jungle, is reared by Akela the Wolf as one of her own. Stalked by Shere Khan, the villainous Bengal tiger, Mowgli runs with the wolf pack under the protection of Bagheera, the gruff but wise Panther, and Baloo the Bear, who teaches him the animal code of behavior known as the Law of the Jungle. In a series of fantastic adventures, Mowgli survives the threats of both man and beast with his fast thinking and strength."
This edition of The Jungle Books contains a complete, unedited collection of Kipling's story of Mowgli, beautifully illustrated in the Retro Deco style by Bradley Clark.
Rudyard Kipling (1860 - 1936) was a British author and poet best known for his works of fiction, such as The Jungle Book, Kim, and Just So Stories. He was also a prolific journalist, essayist, and Nobel laureate in literature. Kipling was born in India and spent his early years there, which influenced his writing and gave him a unique perspective on colonialism and imperialism.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Fine/Near Fine. Dust Jacket: Light shelf wear. Illustrated cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.