Written and illustrated by Baba Wague' Diakite. First edition, February, 2003. Scholastic Press, New York.
"It all began when the sun refused to allow the clouds to gather, and there was no rain. First came drought. Then came famine. Everyone was hungry. And it was then that Brother Rabbit wandered around the parched countryside searching for wild roots to feed his starving family. As he walked, he sang..
"Feeyeh ku, feeyeh ku. Waara sa kun tay.
"Luck will come. Life will be good."
"When Rabbit rescues Chameleon from a thorny bush, his kindness is rewarded tenfold with a most amazing fit: a magic gourd that fills itself with anything its owner desires.
"Ee ko dee!" cries Rabbit, unable to believe his good luck. For there has been drought and famine, and now he can feed his hungry family - and his neighbors, too.
"But very soon, word gets out to Mansa Jugu, a greedy king, who steals Rabbit's gift to make gold and riches for himself. How Rabbit recovers his gourd and teaches the greedy king an important lesson about generosity and friendship makes for an inspiring story about the true meaning of wealth."
At the back of the book are notes on songs of praise, an Author's Note on growing up in Mali, a glossary, an index to the mud cloth patterns used in the illustrations, and notes on folk stories about vessels that produce endless amounts of food from other cultures.
Baba Wagué Diakité is a multi-media artist from Mali, West Africa, who has been living and working in Portland, Oregon, for over 35 years. He is known for his ceramics, mud cloth, mural painting, and children's book illustration, all of which are inspired by his rich cultural heritage and the tradition of storytelling. He has exhibited his work nationally and internationally, and has received several awards and honors, including a Coretta Scott King Honor Book for his first picture book, The Hunterman and the Crocodile. He is also the founder of a cultural center in Bamako, Mali, where he organizes art projects and exchanges with Oregonians.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Fine/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Light shelf wear. Illustrated cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.