Written and illustrated by Demi (Charlotte Dumaresq Hunt). First edition, 1999. Henry Holt and Company. New York.
Based on a Tibetan folk tale that's said to have originated in India nearly 2,500 years ago.
"A long time ago, in the land of Tibet, with mountains so high they seemed to touch the sky, there was a king who was an honored and a just man. From the tallest mountains to the deepest valleys, he was known for his judgment.
"On a mountain ruled by this wise king lived two poor men. Each man was good and honest and did the best he could to support his ten children, wife, mother, father, uncles, and aunts."
"When a disagreement breaks out between a man with a donkey and a man resting on a rock, the two men decide to ask their just and honorable king for help. The king suggests holding a trial between the donkey and the rock. His idea sounds so strange that all of his subjects rush to the courthouse to see who will win. But the king has a surprise in store for them when they get there."
"The tale of the donkey and the rock is said to have originated in India in 550 B.C. with the Buddha acting as the judge and instructing his disciples to avoid foolish curiosity. Humor and wisdom gave the tale broad appeal, and it spread throughout Asia in many variations. One particularly famous version was written in China in the eighteenth century. It was entitled "Cheng Ban Qiao Tries a Rock." Cheng Ban Qiao was a celebrated painter, writer, and magistrate of the time. Today, however, the story is often heard in Tibet. My version was told to me by my Chinese Buddhist husband, Tze-si Huang, who remembers hearing it from his grandmother when he was growing up in Wildcat Stream, near ChungKing, in China's Sichuan Province."
Charlotte Dumaresq Hunt (1942 - ), who writes under the pen name Demi, is a children’s book author and illustrator who has published over 300 books during her career. She is known for her biographical and religious books, as well as her adaptations of folktales from different cultures. Award-winning books include The Empty Pot, Buddha, The Dalai Lama, Saint Francis of Assisi, and The Fantastic Adventures of Krishna.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition: Fine/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Very light shelf wear. Illustrated cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.