Written by Virginia Hamilton. Illustrated by Lambert Davis. First edition, 1989. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers.
A traditional story of an Ohio Christmas, 1890.
"Christmas comes but once a year," Mama said, eyes shining at me. "Only two more days!"
"Christmas never comes when you are twelve, was what I thought. Each day was as long as a month. And the closer Christmas came, the more never it felt to me, even when I sat at my special place along the National Road."
"Bells! There are bells on the Christmas tree, church bells, and harness bells. But most important for Jason are the Bells who will arrive on Christmas Day: Uncle Levi Bell, Aunt Etta Bell, and cousin Tisha Bell, Jason's best friend. ...
"For generations Jason's family has lived beside the historic National Road near Springfield, Ohio. Although he knows the story of drovers and Conestoga wagons and Christmas one hundred years ago, Jason wonders how the holiday will be celebrated a hundred years in the future. Will there really be horseless carriages in the twentieth century? And sleighs that fly through the air?"
Virginia Hamilton (1936-2002) was an acclaimed American author of 41 children's books spanning various genres and themes. She was born in 1936 in Yellow Springs, Ohio, where she grew up listening to stories from her parents and her grandfather, who had escaped from slavery on the Underground Railroad. She studied at Antioch College and Ohio State University, and married poet Arnold Adoff in 1960. She was the first Black author to win the Newbery Medal for her novel M. C. Higgins, the Great (1974), and also received the National Book Award and the Coretta Scott King Award. Hamilton received the Hans Christian Andersen Award, the Nobel Prize of children's literature. Hamilton drew inspiration from her family's stories of escaping slavery and living on a farm in Ohio, as well as from African-American folklore and history.
Lambert Davis is a fine artist, muralist, and illustrator who was born in Hawaii and now lives in Australia. He has illustrated several picture books, including The Jolly Mon and Trouble Dolls by Jimmy Buffett and his daughter Savannah Jane Buffett; The Bells of Christmas and The Dark Way: Stories from the Spirit World by Virginia Hamilton; and The Journey: Stories of Migration by Cynthia Rylant. He also wrote and illustrated his own book, Swimming with Dolphins, which depicts a girl's encounter with a pod of dolphins.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition: Fine/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Light shelf wear. Gold embossed blue/green quarter bound cover boards. "Christmas, 1989" written on title page else pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.