Written by Jane Kurtz. Woodcut illustration by David Frampton. First edition, 1996. Houghton Mifflin Company.
Based on a folktale preserved from the Inca culture.
"Naupa pacha, once upon a time, in the great city of Cuzco, in the ancient Inca Kingdom of Peru, a prince was born to the Sun King. The baby was adorned with red hummingbird feathers and grew up in a palace surrounded by bright jungle birds and yellow monkeys on golden leashes.
"Around the same time, a girl named Miro was born in an adobe and stone house by a vast grassland where thousands of llamas grazed."
"Once upon a time, in the kingdom of the Incas, a girl named Miro ran races with her brothers, cared for the llamas, and learned the language of the wild birds. But while Miro grew strong in her mountain home, the prince grew weak in the royal city far away. Only water from a mythical lake could save him, said a healer. But no one could find the lake."
Jane Kurtz is an award-winning author of more than 40 books of fiction and nonfiction, picture books and novels. She was born in Portland, Oregon, but grew up in Ethiopia, where her parents were missionaries. She now does volunteer work helping kids get books in Ethiopia through the nonprofit organization Ethiopia Reads. She is a faculty member of the Vermont College of Fine Arts MFA in children's and adult literature. Notable works include Fire on the Mountain, River Friendly River Wild, and The Bone Wars.
David Frampton is a renowned artist who specializes in woodcut illustrations. He has created many books for children and adults, such as The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, The First Thanksgiving, and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. His style is characterized by intricate details, vivid colors, and dynamic compositions. He uses traditional tools and techniques to carve his images on wood blocks, then prints them on paper with a hand-operated press.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition: Fine/Very Good. Dust jacket: Light shelf wear; light wear along upper edge; very light soiling on the back; small crease at head of the spine. Embossed red cover boards. Name stamp on front paste down. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.