Stories compiled by Fanny E. Coe. Written by various authors. Published circa 1910. The Riverside Press Cambridge, an imprint of Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, New York and Chicago.
An anthology of fables, folk tales, fairy tales, and myths.
The Lion and the Mouse
"One day a great lion lay asleep in the sunshine. A little mouse ran across his paw and waked him. The great lion was just going to eat him up when the little mouse cried, 'O please let me go, Sir. Some day I may help you.'
"The lion laughed at the thought that the little mouse could be of any use to him. But he was a good-natured lion, and he set the mouse free.
"Not long after, the lion was caught in a net. He tugged and pulled with all his might, but the ropes were too strong. Then he roared loudly. The little mouse heard him, and ran to the spot.
"'Be still, dear Lion, and I will set you free. I will gnaw the ropes.'"
In the forward, Fanny Coe writes: "There is no need to enter a plea for storytelling. Its value in the home and in the school is assured. Miss Bryant, in her charming book, "How to tell Stories to Children," says, 'Perhaps never, since the really old days, has storytelling so nearly reached a recognized level of dignity as a legitimate and general art of entertainment as now.'"
Miss Bryant refers to Sara Cone Bryant (1873 – 1956), a 19th and 20th century educator, children's author, and leading suffragist. Bryant drew inspiration for her tales from the folklore of different cultures. Her most popular children's books were Best Stories to Tell to Children (1912) and Gordon and His Friends (1924). How to Tell Stories to Children (1905), a primer for adults in storytelling for their children, is a classic.
This volume belonged to Donald R. Bryant of Gorham, New Hampshire, though a relationship to Sara Cone Bryant hasn't been established.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition: Very Good. Lacks dust jacket, as issued. Tan cloth pages with black decoration: Light soiling, front and back; corners lightly bumped; light rubbing at head, tail, and front edge of the spine and front fore edge. Inside: Small paper book plate on front pastedown; inscription in light pencil on front fly leaf; closed tear on page 15; else pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.