Written by Robert Louis Stevenson. Illustrated by Jaqueline Mair. First edition thus, 1996. (First published in 1891 in the Samoan language for a Samoan publication.) Clarion Books. New York.
The Bottle Imp, a short story, was first published in 1891. It tells the tale of Keawe, a Hawaiian man who buys a magic bottle that contains an imp who can grant any wish. However, the bottle comes with a curse: whoever dies with it in their possession will go to hell. The only way to get rid of the bottle is to sell it for less than what was paid for it, and the price cannot go below one cent. "Kewe's courtship of the lovely Kokua, and her sacrifice for him, are moving beyond words."
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894) was a Scottish novelist, essayist, poet and travel writer. He was born in Edinburgh to a family of lighthouse engineers but chose to pursue a career in literature instead of following his father's footsteps. He wrote many popular and influential works, such as Treasure Island, Kidnapped, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and A Child's Garden of Verses. He suffered from poor health throughout his life and traveled widely in search of a better climate. He died in Samoa at the age of 44.
Jacqueline Mair is a British artist and illustrator. She studied Fine Art at University of West of England and Printmaking at the Royal College of Art in London. She has exhibited her work internationally and illustrated several books, with a special interest in folk lore, such as Horse Hooves and Chicken Feet: Mexican Folktales. She lives and works in Southsea, England after many years working in the US and France, and in Africa and Columbia for Save The Children and UNICEF.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors
Condition: Near Fine/Very Good. Dust jacket: Light shelf wear; light wear along upper edge; top corners lightly bumped; small shallow scratch on the back. Blue cloth cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.