Written by Susan Cooper. Illustrated by Michael Heslop. First edition, later printing, 1984. A Margaret K. McElderry Book. Atheneum, New York.
The Grey King, winner of the 1976 Newbery Award, is the fourth in Susan Cooper's five book series, The Dark Is Rising.
"When light from the lost land shall return,
Six Sleepers shall ride, six Signs shall burn,
And where the midsummer tree grows tall
By Pendragon's sword the Dark shall fall."
"There is an old tradition in North Wales that, within a certain hill, a harp of gold will be found by a boy followed by a white dog with silver eyes - a dog who can see the wind. Will Stanton knew nothing of this when he came to Wales, just before Halloween, from his English home for convalescence after a severe illness. But when he met a strange boy named Bran and Bran's white dog Cafall, memory awoke in him. For Will himself was no ordinary boy, but the last-born of the Old Ones, servants of the Light, immortals dedicated to saving the world from domination by the force of evil which calls itself the Dark. And it is Will's long-appointed quest, as he now learns to wake - with the sound of the lost golden harp - the six sleepers who must by roused from their long rest in the ancient Welsh hills to make read for the last dreadful battle between the Dark and the Light."
Susan Cooper (1935- ) is a British-American author of fantasy and historical fiction. She is best known for her five-book series The Dark Is Rising; the first book in the series, The Dark Is Rising, was a Newbery Honor book, and in 1976 The Grey King was awarded the Newbery Medal. In 2012 Cooper was the US nominee for the prestigious Hans Christian Andersen Award for lifetime achievement. She has also written novels for adults, picture books, biographies, and nonfiction books on various topics.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition: Fine/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Very light edge tanning visible from jacket inside. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.