Written and illustrated by Natalie Babbitt. First edition, second printing, 2007. Michael Di Capua Books, an imprint of Scholastic.
How It All Began
"Jack Plank was an out-of-work pirate. he'd had a job, and a good job, too, on a lovely ship called the Avarice. But the thing is, Jack wasn't good at plundering. There's only one way to plunder: You have to yell and make faces and rattle your sword, and once you've got people scared, you take things away from them. That's what pirates do. But Jack didn't seem to have the knack for it."
"Jack did the only thing he could do - he went ashore to look for another line of work. The town was called Saltwash, on the coast of the Caribbean Sea, and he had a lot of helpful advice from the people in Mrs. DelFresno's boardinghouse. Somehow, thought, each career he looked into seemed to have something wrong with it. And every night at dinner in the boardinghouse, he tried to explain why. For who would want to work where there might be a troll, or the danger a crab caught in your beard? Or what about a music-loving crocodile? There were other things, too, that ran against every suggestion and took the wind out of his sails.
"At last, Jack decided he wouldn't be good at anything onshore and would have to back to sea, pirate or not. ..."
Natalie Babbitt (1932 - 2016) studied at Smith College and married Samuel Fisher Babbitt, with whom she collaborated on her first book, The Forty-ninth Magician, in 1966. She wrote and illustrated many great children's books, including Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious, Goodie Hall, Herbert Rowbarge, and Tuck Everlasting. Tuck Everlasting was adapted into two movies and a Broadway musical. She received the Newbery Honor, the Christopher Award, and the E.B. White award, and was nominated for the prestigious Hans Christian Andersen Award for lifetime achievement.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition: Near Fine/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Light shelf wear; small dent on front cover, top left corner. Red quarter-bound cloth cover boards. "Wisdom" written on front fly leaf else pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.