Written by Katherine Mansfield. Introductory notes by John Middleton Murry. First edition, second printing, August 1923. Alfred A Knopf, New York.
The Doll's House
"There stood the doll's house, a dark, oily, spinach green, picked out with bright yellow. Its two solid little chimneys, glued on to the roof, were painted red and white, and the door, gleaming with yellow varnish was like a little slab of toffee. Four windows, real windows, were divided into panes by a broad streak of green. There was actually a tiny porch, too, painted yellow, with big lumps of congealed paint hanging along the edge.
"But perfect, perfect little house! Who could possibly mind the smell? It was part of the joy, part of the newness."
The Doves' Nest is a collection of short stories written contemporary with The Garden Party and after.
The Doll's House
A Cup of Tea
Taking the Veil
A Married Man's Story
The Doves' Nest
Six Years After
Father and the Girls
A Bad Idea
A Man and His Dog
Such a Sweet Old Lady
Mr. and Mrs. Williams
Katherine Mansfield (1888-1923) was a New Zealand-born writer and critic who is widely regarded as one of the most influential and important authors of the modernist movement. She wrote under the pen name of Katherine Mansfield and published short stories and poetry that explored themes such as anxiety, sexuality, and existentialism, as well as a developing New Zealand identity. She left New Zealand at the age of 19 and settled in England, where she became friends with other prominent writers such as D.H. Lawrence, Virginia Woolf, and John Middleton Murry, whom she married in 1918. She was diagnosed with pulmonary tuberculosis in 1917 and died in France at the age of 34. Some of her most celebrated works include "Prelude", "Bliss", "The Garden Party", and "The Daughters of the Late Colonel".
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition: Very Good. Missing dust jacket. Green cloth cover boards w/ paper paste-down on spine: On front cover, light white smudge and small black ink mark; loose at fly leaf; chipping of spine pastedown. Textblock: Deckled on two edges, red topstain. Inside: Paper name plate on front pastedown, printed image of the author on front fly leaf (signature and inscription are printed, not original) and author bio on the next page. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.