Written by Gary Soto. Illustrated by Stephanie Garcia. First edition, 1997. G. P. Putnam's Sons. New York.
Imagine yourself as the flower girl in the story, assembling a scrapbook of all that you saw and experienced at a family wedding. It's going to be different yet still sweet, and funny, and a little confusing.
"Meet Maya, Isabel's flower girl, as she describes in vivid detail the exciting wedding day. Maya introduces us to Danny, the ring bearer; Aunt Marta, crying big tears; Uncle Trino, jump-starting a car in his tuxedo; and Rafael, the groom, with a cast on his arm. Of course, the big day also includes games, dancing, cake, and a mariachi band that plays long into an evening no one will ever forget."
Gary Soto (1952 - ) is an award-winning American poet, novelist, and memoirist, best known for his depictions of the Chicano experience in California, drawing on his own childhood and adolescence in Fresno. His works include the poetry collections The Elements of San Joaquin, Black Hair, and New and Selected Poems; YA and children's books Buried Onions, Too Many Tamales, and Jesse De La Cruz: A Profile of a United Farm Worker; and memoirs Living Up the Street, A Summer Life, and Why I Don't Write Children's Literature. He has received numerous honors, including the Guggenheim Fellowship, the National Book Award Finalist, and the American Book Award.
Stephanie Garcia is a Los Angeles-based freelance illustrator of vibrant and whimsical illustrations for children's books, magazines, and educational materials. She has a passion for storytelling and loves to bring characters and scenes to life with her colorful and expressive style.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Fine/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Light shelf wear. Illustrated cover boards. Pages are clean, complete, and undamaged. Book's previous owner embellished with the green yarn bow/bookmark.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.