Written by various authors. Managing Editor, H. D. Newson. Published as Volume III, Number 9, October, 1915. The Storyteller's Publishing Company, New York.
More than a century ago, the primary concern of the editors of The Storyteller's Magazine, published from 1913 - 1917, was promoting storytelling, for its' own sake, but also as a tool for improving children's reading and writing skills.
From the Editor's Study
"In education, as in work, optimism is a great essential to success. ...
"If optimism be an essential to adult success, how much more important must it be to the child in his work.
"And yet, how often is the child left to struggle along, tearfully and hopelessly in the dark, over the solution of a difficult piece of work which it cannot comprehend. Some claim that this tearful, hopeless wrestling with unknown quantities is good mental discipline - that the child is benefited thereby.
"But is it not actually a waste of time if the same work can be presented in a manner which the child can comprehend, and if through such optimism as comes with comprehension, the child is quite willing to work, buoyed up by the hope of success?
"This is the great argument for the use of storytelling in education. ..."
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Very Good. Soft cover with black and red cover art: Cover is loose, as pictured; fore edge corners are chipped, front and back; small chip on upper edge. Minor ink stain on text block, fore edge. Pages are clean, complete, and undamaged.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.