Written by Richard Adams. Illustrated by Jennifer Campbell. Color plates by Yvonne Gilbert. First edition, 1980. Crown Publishers, Inc.
"Folktales form the collective dreams of humanity". - Richard Adams
Richard Adams, author of the classic novel Watership Down and The Girl in a Swing, applies his imagination and skill to creating nineteen tales that are both enchanting and thought-provoking. Some of the stories are based on legends and folklore, while others are original creations.
Front flap -
"In order to preserve the immediacy of authentic folk storytelling, Adams presents each of the tales as though it is being told by an imagined narrator to one or more listeners at a particular time and place. The reader is never told the identify of either the teller or his listeners but is left free to infer both of them and the occasion solely from the narrator's words."
(Stephanie's Note: The narrative style is more suitable for advanced readers.)
Richard Adams (1920 - 2016) was a British author one of the most famous animal stories of all time: Watership Down. He started writing stories for his two daughters, and one of the stories became Watership Down, his first novel, published in 1972. The book tells of a group of rabbits who flee their home and face many dangers and adventures along the way. It was a huge success and won several awards, including the Carnegie Medal. Adams wrote several more books, including Shardik, The Plague Dogs, and The Girl in a Swing. He also wrote an autobiography, The Day Gone By, and a collection of essays, The Iron Wolf.
Award-winning British artist Yvonne Gilbert created some of the most iconic album covers and book illustrations of all time. She's worked with famous musicians such as Michael Jackson, Elton John, and The Rolling Stones, and authors Roald Dahl, J.K. Rowling, and Philip Pullman. She is best known for her work of the 1980s, and helped pioneer scratchboard art, a technique that involves scratching away black ink to reveal a white layer underneath. She has won many awards and honors for her work, including the Victoria and Albert Museum Illustration Award and the Order of the British Empire.
British illustrator Jennifer Campbell produced the sharp, detailed pen & ink drawings, but there is scant information about her work.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Near Fine/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Light shelf wear. Brown cloth cover: Tiny white spot on the back cover. Small rubbed area on front paste down, likely due to removing an old name/address label, else pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.