Written by Pedro Antonio de Alarcon. Translated to English by Martin Armstrong. Illustrated by Norman Tealby. First English edition, 1927. Gerald Howe LTD, London.
The Three-Cornered Hat is a novel by Pedro Antonio de Alarcón, published in 1874. It is a humorous satire of the corruption and abuse of power of a local official in 18th-century Andalusia. The novel follows the misadventures of a miller and his wife, who are harassed by the lustful and tyrannical corregidor (magistrate) who tries to seduce her by swapping his three-cornered hat with her husband's. The novel is based on a popular tradition and has a simple and linear plot. It has been adapted into musical compositions, ballets, and films.
Pedro Antonio de Alarcon was a Spanish novelist, journalist and poet. He was born in Guadix, near Granada, in 1833. He is best known for his novel El Sombrero de Tres Picos, The Three-Cornered Hat, published in 1874, which depicts the life and customs of his native Andalusia. He also wrote El Escándalo (The Scandal) and El Niño de la Bola (The Infant with the Globe), as well as travel books, short stories and essays. He served as a volunteer in the Moroccan campaign of 1859-60 and wrote a vivid account of his experience in Diario de un Testigo de la Guerra de Africa (Diary of a Witness). He died in Valdemoro, Spain, in 1891.
British illustrator and translator Norman Tealby (1885 - 1951) is best known for his illustrations of works by Voltaire, in particular "Candide", which he also translated into English along with Richard Aldington. His drawings are characterized by pen and black ink, brush and wash techniques.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for other fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Very Good. Missing dust jacket. Black cloth cover boards: Embossed floral pattern on front cover, gold lettering on spine; small white spot on front; light fading on spine and edges; corners lightly bumped; light shelf wear. Howe published the book both with and without gilding the floral pattern. Textblock: Stained gray on top edge; deckled edges on fore edge and bottom. Color illustrations are laid in, and complete. Pages are clean, complete, and undamaged.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.