Written by Celeste Davidson Mannis. Illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline. First edition, 2003. Viking.
"Every summer Queen Elizabeth took a holiday known as the royal progress. The queen, her courtiers, and hundreds of attendants left London in a caravan that stretched as far as the eye could see. As they passed through the gates of the city and into the countryside, only the queen knew where their rambles would lead. She was the sole navigator of the royal progress, and her whims were her compass."
Mannis uses the letters of the alphabet to introduce young readers to the life and times of Queen Elizabeth I of England. Each letter is accompanied by a rhyming verse and a prose text that provide historical details and anecdotes about the queen's annual royal progresses. The book also features stunning illustrations by Bagram Ibatoulline that capture the elegance and diversity of the Elizabethan era.
Celeste Davidson Mannis is an award-winning author of books for children and a photographer. Her books explore aspects of our world - its people, cultures, history, and natural wonders, with the goal of fueling children's curiosity and intelligence. Titles include One Leaf Rides the Wind: Counting in a Japanese Garden, Julia Morgan Built a Castle, Snapshots: The Wonders of Monterey Bay, and Who Was William Shakespeare?
Bagram Ibatoulline is a Russian-born artist who has illustrated numerous books for younger readers written by Philip Booth, Kate DiCamillo, Michelle Houts, Stephen Mitchell, Linda Sue Park, Lois Lowry and others. His illustrations have been noted in reviews in The New York Times, Kirkus Reviews, and other national publications for their realism and beauty. He received the 2006 Boston Globe–Horn Book Award for The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane with Kate DiCamillo.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Near Fine/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Light shelf wear. Illustrated cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.