Written by Desiderius Erasmus. Translated by Harry Carter. Woodcut illustrations by Franz Masereel. Printed by Joh. Enschede En Zonen, Haarlem, Holland, for The Heritage Press.
The Praise of Folly is a famous satirical essay by Desiderius Erasmus, a Dutch humanist and theologian. It was written in 1509 and published in 1511. The essay mocks various aspects of human society, such as superstition, religious hypocrisy, and worldly ambition, yet praises the simplicity and sincerity of Christian faith.
Desiderius Erasmus lived from 1466 or 1469 to 1536. He was born in Rotterdam, received a classical education, and became a Catholic priest in 1492. He devoted most of his life to studying and writing about classical and biblical texts. He was the first editor of the Greek New Testament, which he published in 1516 along with his own Latin translation and annotations. He also wrote influential works, in addition to Praise of Folly, such as Adagia, Handbook of a Christian Knight, Education of a Christian Prince, and Colloquies. He was widely respected and admired by his contemporaries and later generations as one of the greatest scholars and humanists of the Renaissance.
Franz Masereel (1889 - 1972) was a Belgian artist and activist. He studied art in Ghent and Brussels, and became involved in the socialist and pacifist movements. He moved to Paris in 1911, where he met and befriended many writers and artists, such as Romain Rolland, Stefan Zweig, and Georges Duhamel. Masereel is best known for his wordless novels, which are sequences of black-and-white woodcuts that tell a story without any text. He created over 20 wordless novels, such as Passionate Journey (1919), The Idea (1920), The City (1925), and The Sun (1926). His wordless novels express his social and political views, and influenced many other artists, such as Lynd Ward, Will Eisner, Art Spiegelman, and Eric Drooker.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors
Condition: Very Good/Very Good. Slipcase: On the back, shadow left by small label. Quarter-bound brown on tan cover boards: Letter "E" in ink at tail of the spine is an artifact from previous owner's library system. Name on back fly leaf else pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.