Written by Evelyn Waugh. First true US edition, 1945. (Originally excerpted in 1944 in Town & Country magazine. Book-of-the-Month Club published the true first US edition prior to the trade edition release.) Little, Brown and Company, Boston.
Brideshead Revisited: The Sacred and Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder
Et In Arcadia Ego
"I have been here before," I said; I had been there before; first with Sebastian more than twenty years ago on a cloudless day in June, when the ditches were white with fool's parsley and meadowsweet and the air heavy with all the scents of summer; it was a day of peculiar splendour, such as our climate affords once or twice a year, when leaf and flower and bird and sun-lit sone and shadow seem all to proclaim the glory of God; and though I had been there so often, in so many moods, it was to that first visit that my heart returned on this, my latest."
Brideshead Revisited tells the story of Charles Ryder, a young man who becomes fascinated by the aristocratic and Catholic Marchmain family. The novel spans several decades, from Charles's first encounter with Sebastian Flyte, the charming and troubled son of Lord and Lady Marchmain, at Oxford University in the 1920s, to his reunion with Sebastian's sister Julia, with whom he falls in love, during World War II. The novel explores themes of religion, class, art, love and loss through Charles's perspective as he witnesses the decline of Brideshead Castle, the Marchmains' ancestral home.
Evelyn Waugh (1903-1966) was an English novelist, journalist and biographer. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest writers of the 20th century, known for his satirical and witty novels that depict the social and cultural life of the British upper class. Some of his most famous works include Brideshead Revisited, A Handful of Dust, Scoop and The Loved One. He was also a prolific travel writer and a war correspondent during World War II. He converted to Catholicism in 1930 and his faith influenced many of his later works.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for children and collectors.
Condition*: Very good/Very Good. Dust jacket: Light edgewear; chipped, top right corner; open tear at head of the spine, closed tear and small chip at bottom; closed tear on the back, upper edge; small stain on the back, lower left corner. Black-embossed red cloth cover boards. Pages: Light tanning around edges else pages are clean, complete, and undamaged.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.