Written by Lea Wait. First edition, 2001. Margaret K. McElderry Books.
Stopping to Home by Lea Wait is set in 1806 in Wiscasset, Maine, and follows eleven-year-old Abbie Chambers and her four-year-old brother Seth, who are orphaned after their mother dies of smallpox and their father disappears at sea. They find a temporary home with Widow Chase, a young woman who struggles to keep her house and land after her husband's death. Together, they face the challenges and opportunities of life in a nineteenth-century seaport town, while hoping for news of their father and searching for a place to call their own. Based on meticulous research and historical details, Stopping To Home is a moving and engaging read that portrays the hardships and joys of early American life.
Lea Wait was an American author of historical novels and mysteries, many set in Maine. She was born in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1946 and grew up in a family of book lovers. She studied at Chatham College and New York University, and worked as a manager at AT&T before becoming an antique print dealer and a writer. She also adopted four daughters from different Asian countries as a single parent. She moved to Edgecomb, Maine, in 1998 and married artist Bob Thomas in 2003. She wrote several series of books for adults and children, including the Mainely Needlepoint Mystery series and the Shadows Antique Print Mystery series. She passed away in August 2019.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Near Fine/Very Good. Dust jacket: Light edgewear. Quarter-bound green and beige cloth cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.