Adapted by Sally Fisher. Translated by Donald Keene. First edition thus, 1980. The Metropolitan Museum of Art and A Studio Book, The Viking Press. New York.
"Long ago in Japan there was an old man who made his living by cutting stalks of bamboo and making clever and useful things out of them. He and his wife a difficult and lonely life. Life was difficult because they had never had a child to bring some light and liveliness, or even something unexpected, into their days.
"Then late one afternoon as the forest grew dim and an early moon appeared, the bamboo cutter noticed a strange stalk of bamboo. it was glowing down near the root, as if there were a candle inside. He was mystified and leaned down to examine it. Inside the hollow bamboo was a tiny girl, no more than three inches tall! The bamboo cutter said to himself, "Since I am the only person in the world who would be here right now cutting this bamboo, I think this little child must be meant for me and my wife." He carried her home cupped in his hands, in just the way you would carry a baby bird."
The Tale of the Shining Princess is an adaptation of a classic Japanese folktale called Taketori Monogatari (The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter). It tells the story of a beautiful moon princess who is sent to Earth as a punishment and becomes the adopted daughter of a poor bamboo cutter and his wife. She attracts many suitors with her radiance and grace, but she rejects them all with impossible tasks. Eventually, she reveals her true identity and returns to her home in the moon, leaving behind her earthly parents and friends. The book is illustrated with reproductions of 18th-century woodblock prints from the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for other fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Fine/Very Good. Dust jacket: Light edge wear; small chip front cover, upper edge; closed tear with crease on the back near head of the spine; corners lightly bumped. Gold-embossed red cloth cover boards. Pages are clean, complete, and undamaged.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.